Just a few tails from a busy week!

This week, I have been working a lot. I worked Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday!!

I’m going to set it up a little  different to usual as there is so many dogs and days, and quite frankly it will become a little samey.

So to begin with: there was a Labrador in her kennel. I went in to open the middle door, and the minute I closed the outer door, I got growled at and then as I was trying to calm this dog, then she barked at me whilst growling. I wasn’t too sure about this dog as I’d never seen her before, and I didn’t really want to get bitten by a dog that is nervous.

The rest of the dogs were good and I was particularly fond about a little cocker spaniel. She was very energetic and I couldn’t help being fond of her as she reminded me of my dog when she was younger.

Eventually over the week the Labrador warmed to me. The little Chihuahua was there again (the one who smiles, but it looks like he’s baring her teeth) and he didn’t want to walk too much, so when he didn’t want to walk any more. He simply stopped walking and whimpered at you.

On Sunday, there was a miniature disaster. At the bottom of the kennels’ grounds there are four stables and a field for the horses. Behind this field – separated by fences and a big gate – is the cow’s field. Turns out there were fourteen cows in the field. The other girl and I had to try and either get the cows out of the field (via the gate which was left open) or get the horses back into the stables. After getting the head collar for the two horses and putting these on two out of the four horses the plan was that the other two horses would follow. This went to plan until the cows began to charge down the hill too. It was so annoying because we had all four horses there and then the fourteen cows that spooked them off. After spending ages trying to call the horses down whilst keeping the cows away., we just had to go up and get them. There was nothing we could do with the cows, but call the farmer. After this experience, I’m maybe rethinking becoming a livestock vet.

I went to the kennels at 4-6 on Tuesday, and as I hadn’t been at the kennels during the weekdays I have never gotten true sense of how busy the day-care is! There must have been about 20 dogs in the day-care and she when I went into the room to talk to the man. We couldn’t talk over the really loud dogs!

If anything else happens either today, tomorrow or Sunday, I’ll write another post!!


Published by


Studying Immunology at University. Really using my blog to fuel my addiction to procrastinating.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s